As Christians we have been commissioned to a life of abundance (John 10:10), we have been ordained to live a life that is above limitations and the struggles that the ordinary carnal man faces. This is because the one we believe in is superior to all things, and all things are subject to Him. And therefore, with all things subject to Him, we who have His Spirit living in us, also have all things subject to us. Availing much is a state of living in which we are constantly at an advantage in all we do and all we are. And while this is a commission that has been given to every Christian, we find that not all Christians experience this constant advantage in all things. The following are some of the reasons why this occurs:
- Ignorance of God and His principles to abundant living- My people are being destroyed because they don't know me. Since you priests refuse to know me, I refuse to recognize you as my priests. Since you have forgotten the laws of your God, I will forget to bless your children (Hosea 4:6);
- Discouragement due to many attacks from the enemy in one’s life, family, work etc;
- Unbelief or doubting that which God has promised-I tell you, you can pray for anything, and if you believe that you've received it, it will be yours. (Mark 11:24);
- Iniquity or sin that one has not yet repented from-As it is written in the law of Moses, all this evil is come upon us: yet made we not our prayer before the LORD our God, that we might turn from our iniquities, and understand thy truth (Daniel 9:13).
Despite the above reasons, God is a merciful and loving God, and at every point in time He is always reaching towards us in love so that we can live the lives that He has predestined us to live. One of the ways of tapping into this abundant life of availing much is by prayer; effective fervent prayer (James 5:16). This is because in prayer we commune with God, and we are able to receive wisdom on how to accomplish certain things in our lives. We also receive wisdom on our callings, so that our efforts are not all over the place but rather centered or focused on this one path that God says that it is what we have been destined to do on this earth. Through prayer, we also engage in spiritual warfare and we are able to overthrow principalities and powers that stand against our destinies. It is important to note that, some circumstances in our lives seem unnatural, in that for months and years we have prayed for breakthrough concerning these situations, and yet it seems as if God is deaf to those prayers. It is this circumstances that should prompt us to stay in the place of prayer and fasting and engage in spiritual warfare until breakthrough is achieved and we begin to avail much once again in those arrears (Matthew 17:21). The other requirements in availing much include:
- Studying the word of God to learn all that God has said about us and how to please Him, so that He can bless us. Keeping in mind that God only prospers that which He has willed, and therefore all that is written in His word, is His will and therefore if we remind Him of all that is in His word, He will perform it. (2 Timothy 3:16);
- Obeying spiritual principles in gaining wealth, succeeding at marriage, succeeding in our careers etc (Malachi 3:10, Ephesians 5:25-33, Colossians 3:22);
- Being diligent in all we do (Proverbs 13:4);
- God is looking for people whose heart is fully His and are loyal to Him. If we are faithful to God, He will show Himself strong toward us in all we do. Let’s search our hearts and make sure it is loyal and faithful to God- 2 Chronicles 16:9 – “For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him.”
Let us note that it is God’s desire to see us prosper in every sphere of our lives and therefore by inclining our ears and hearts to Him, He will cause us to succeed in all He commands us to do.
May God grant us the wisdom to avail much In Jesus name.