New Wine in New Wineskins (1)
New Wine Series
- What is New Wine?
- What is a New Wineskin?
- Why do we need New Wine now?
- How do we get New wine continuously?
Jesus talks about new wine in new wineskins
- Mathew 9:16-18
- Mark 2:21-23
- Luke 5:23-39
No one sews a patch of unshrunk [C new] cloth over a hole in an old coat [garment]. If he does, the patch will shrink and pull away from the coat [garment], making the hole [tear] worse. Also, people never pour new wine into old leather bags [wineskins]. Otherwise, the bags [wineskins] will break [burst; because the fermenting wine expands], the wine will spill, and the wine bags [wineskins] will be ruined. But people always pour new wine into new [fresh] wine bags [wineskins]. Then both will continue to be good [are preserved].” (Mathew 19:16-17) EXB
When asked why John’s disciples fast and Jesus’ were eating?
He also told them a parable: “No one tears a piece from a new garment and puts it on an old garment. If he does, he will tear the new, and the piece from the new will not match the old. And no one puts new wine into old wineskins. If he does, the new wine will burst the skins and it will be spilled, and the skins will be destroyed. But new wine must be put into fresh wineskins. (Luke 5:36-38) ESV
What is New Wine?
- God’s Blessing or Judgement
- New blessing, New ideas
- New way of thinking
How this new Wine is made?
- New Harvest (usually after a season of no fruit/ planting)
- Transformation (in a new wine skin)
But new wine must be put into new wineskins. (Luke 5:38) ESV
How New Wineskins are made:
- Made from Goat skin
- Killing of a goat to get the skin
- Processed to make goat skin become waterproof
New Wine in New Wineskins
- New wine: God’s blessings
- New wineskin is our old stubborn nature/habits
New wineskin is:
- Getting rid of our old stubborn nature/habits (Goat nature)
- So, we can receive God’s new blessings, transformation
- getting rid of our old stubborn nature/habits
- to put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, 23 and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, 24 and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.
- Therefore, having put away falsehood, let each one of you speak the truth with his neighbour, for we are members one of another.
- Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger and give no opportunity to the devil. Let the thief no longer steal, but rather let him labour, doing honest work with his own hands, so that he may have something to share with anyone in need. Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.
- And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamour and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender hearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you. (Ephesians 4:22-32) ESV